Motivating the general public to be prepared for a disaster is daunting. There can always be something that is higher on your To Do list... until it's too late.
The state of Colorado's READYColorado.com website is charged with motivating citizens to prepare for a disaster, to educate citizens on how to be prepared, and to stay informed in case of a disaster. A daunting task.
Monarch designed and developed a site that is visually striking, using dramatic local images of disasters to engage and motivate at-risk citizens. The site not only highlights categories of hazards, but it documents specific disasters that occurred in Colorado in each category.
Interactivity. Allowing citizens to log in to the site improves the interactivity of the web site:
- The basis of disaster preparedness is to develop an emergency plan. In the previous version of READYColorado.com, citizens could download a pdf of an emergency plan that they could complete offline. In the new version of READYColorado,com, citizens can log in to their account and create an online version of their complete emergency plan. They can retrieve it at any time.
- Like an emergency plan, citizens can also create an online emergency kit, that they can use should they be encountered with an emergency situation.
- Citizen can submit emergency preparedness events. Once moderated by the Office of Preparedness, these events can be displayed on the READYColorado.com calendar.
- Citizens can also submit their disaster photos to help others better understand how a disaster can suddenly disrupt your life.
- People who have been directly impacted by a disaster can submit their story of preparedness and living through a Colorado disaster.
Although users who have not logged in can still submit photos and their stories, by logging in to the site, the user can see the moderation status of their submitted materials.
Any platform. It is imperative that READYColorado.com be attractive, engaging and functional across any device. The READYColorado.com site is completely responsive, resizing and reformatting individual elements on each page to match the screen size.
All audiences. Disasters impact all citizens. Often, bringing awareness to the entire population comes from our children, so the site appeals to kids with Rocky the Preparedness Pup. The professionals that educate both kids and adults find resources on READYColorado.com. People with various disabilities can also use the site to prepare for their special needs.